Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunny Perfect Sunday

This weekend has been beautiful weather wise. It rained for a total of 10 minutes today, and then it was clear blue skies and hot sun!


Peter and I slept in after our early rise yesterday (more on that later), had a nice breakfast and then hit the streets. I walk a LOT here, which has been good for me and baby. Everything I need is within a 10 block radius or so. We went to the bank and then stopped for lunch at the Kokoriko. http://www.kokoriko.com.co/

Kokoriko is technically a fast food restaurant, but they have the best, most tenderest chicken I've ever had. It is marinaded in some kind of secret sauce that just makes it irresistable. They even give you a little pair of plastic gloves to wear, so you can eat it with your hands and get good and messy and not care if it's all over your face! They have other things like chicken burgers, fries, stuffed yuca thing'ees, desserts, but I like to fill up on the chicken. If anyone evenutally ventures out to visit me a stop at Kokoriko will be mandatory!

As we were sitting there eating I noticed a lot of cars going by with flags hanging out the window, and a lot of people in the street dressed in "futbol" jerseys, either blue http://www.millonarios.com.co/ or red. There is a soccer game going on in the city today, which is pitting the two favourite hometime rival teams against one another. Sounds like a fun sporting event right? Kinda like when the Leafs play they Sens!

Another ten minutes pass and I happen to look out to the street again in time to see at least 35 motorcycles pass by. Each motorcycle had two police officers on it, one in normal dress (more like army greens than the nice outfits our cops wear) and another in full riot gear carrying a shield riding on the back. Trying not to sound too alarmed I ask Peter.. "uhhh, not to sound to panicky North American but... what up?". He says that it really isn't anything to be alarmed at, that it's normal for soccer games here, especially when the two rivals are on deck. As we walked home there were lots of police wagons out and about, on their way to the stadium, which is not far from our house, but far enough, if you know what I mean. No worries, we agreed that we were not likely to ever attend a game here because as I ALWAYS say there is no fan like a soccer fan, they put the "fan" in fanatic!

There is a strong police presence here always, during rush hour they are on every corner in the main area where the mall is and stuff. They don't do much, just are there so everyone knows they are there I guess.

Now for yesterday! I had bloodwork at 7:15 a.m. and had to do the Gestational Diabetes test AGAIN (it was even more yucky here and yes on a Saturday) followed by an ultrasound at 9 a.m. I have to say I was impressed by the promptness and niceness of everyone who worked at the clinic I went to. It was clean and modern, and is literally a block and a half from our house. (it is not where I will have Lukas but it is on our benefit plan which is why we chose it for this purpose)

The ultrasound went well from what we could tell. Peter was completely fascinated by the pictures that came up, confusing as they appear to us. We saw and heard his heart, his brain, liver, stomach, kidneys, his feet, legs, little hands, and most exciting his face! He was sucking his thumb and looking all alien in the way ultrasounds make them look. He seems to have Peters' nose and big wide eyes, and YES it is DEFINITELY a boy!

Over and out!

3 comments:

Patti said...

Sounds like Owen would love the Kokoriko with that tender chicken!

Unknown said...

Hey! You sound really happy - That chicken at kokoriko sounds yummmmmyyy - have some more on my behalf please!!

Karen said...

glucose tolerance test - yuck for sure! Was it the one hour or the three hour? I had to do a one hour with number 1 AND a three hour, and then with number 2 we just jumped right to the three hour since my sugar had been high the first time...then they told me I did have gestational diabetes and to totally modify my diet (and this a week before Christmas)...and then my little guy ends up being just 6lbs exactly - I thought babies born to mums with gestational diabetes were supposed to be big like 10lbs! I still don't believe I had it...I am just really really sweet I guess.

So I take it from this post that baby has a name! How exciting!

It is nice to read your blog to know you are doing well and seem very happy!!!!