Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Just a Few Pictures


Happy Birthday indeed! From halfway around the world my wonderful parents sent me a birthday cake! Tres Leches, yummmmiiiee!!! And so pretty! And from one of the best bakeries around :O)







My Birthday lunch with Peter's Mom and his cousin Kevin @ "Sopa y Postres" (Soup and Desserts). I've had my eye on this restaurant since I got here and Gloria treated me for my special day. They accepted my Ontario Drivers License as proof it was my birthday and in exchange I got this HUGE fried Ice Cream and they played a 5 minute version of "Happy Birthday" complete with mariachi music and singing! AND in English!

Kevin, Gloria and Me!

First person to post on here and tell me what exactly is different about me in these photos will get a little gift from Colombia :O) I've kept it under wraps for three weeks now, and figure it's about time to come clean. (and no, it's not that I am getting chubby)




I loved this fluffy dog. He was loyally watching his boy walk home from the store about 1/2 km away. This is in another Barrio close to ours, but is much quieter and only has houses, which are huge and almost all of them have a lovely courtyard garden.





Peter and his Mom @ Mother's Day lunch in "Dona Elvira" restaurant in our neighbourhood. It was (is??) a famous haunt for crooked politicians and was lined up out the door with people waiting for a seat!

Lots of stuff happens in Bogota/Colombia in any given week but little of the news makes it out of the country no matter how amazing it might be. I will not be posting anything political here because I know better than that, but of particular human interest in the last week a gentleman who was kidnapped more than 9 years ago escaped from the guerillas, on foot, through the jungle. I think it took him about 17 days to reach civilization. His story and the news he is sharing with Colombia and the world is like nothing you would even make up in your wildest Hollywood epic. In fact, if someone doesn't make a movie about it I would be very surprised. If you are interested in checking it out you can try the local paper, http://www.eltiempo.com/ , it's amazing how much you will pick up even with no knowledge of Spanish!

More pics to come, I'm going to eat CAKE!!! Thanks to everyone from both my families for their e-mails, postings on Facebook, gifts and phone calls. I was worried it would be a lonely birthday but it has been anything but! I love you all, thanks again!!

























6 comments:

Dimitra said...

Hi Cheryl,
Do you have braces on your teeth or something? It's very hard to tell because the pictures look so small - but that's my guess about what's different about you. I thought maybe you had had the baby already, but that can't be it! (right?)

bud said...

Cheryl:

I know, I know, I know!! You have braces on your teeth!! Mothers know everything! Shouldn't that dimitra be working or something?Does she have that much spare time on her hands that she beat me to it? Your Loving Mother xoxo

Cheryl said...

HAHA, my Mom is so sassy and full of beans isn't she?! (and totally joking Dimitra :O) ) You are both right! Although I hate them with a passion, an orthodontics job that would cost me thousands at home is going to cost me about $600 here. I'll send you both something small soon. Dimitra, can you email me your mailing address to my personal account?

Dimitra said...

Yes, we team leaders have SOOO much free time. That's one of the perks of the job!

Oh, and we're a department of attention-to-detail freaks around here!

Peg Leg said...

bah I was going to say that you died your hair brown to keep the locals from straining their necks, no prize for me I guess

bud said...

Dear Cheryl:

We're waiting for an update. We want to see pictures of a very pregnant lady! Show us your girth please.
love Mom