Thursday, May 10, 2007

Closer Encounter with Riot Police


Today, quite by accident, I saw thousands of University students protesting in the streets, about 5 blocks from my house. Before you panic, let me explain..
This morning, while showering I finally decided enough was enough on my slight loss of independence here. I need some canvas to paint a mural of sorts for the baby room, and decided that I would venture out on my own to find out where I can get one and how much. Sounds easy, and normally such a task is not daunting but venturing into stores, trying to explain what you want and find out the cost when you are using limited language is a BIG step.
I DID IT!! I managed to ask in stores for the price and various questions with NO ENGLISH or helpful family translator and while I am sure my "Canadian" accent shone brightly people were very sweet and helpful.
Mission accomplished and very proud of myself I strolled along 53rd Street window shopping (the Queen Street of my "hood") and stopped once I got to the main intersection (say Queen and Spadina with less ethnicity). It was looking like it was going to rain so I turned around and was stopped dead in my tracks by the sight of yet another convoy of riot police (my second in less than a week), fully decked out with shields and batons, maybe 50 or so of them, stopped along both sides of the road maybe two blocks from where I had just come.
Now, I'm a smart gal, and a smart traveller. I have some street sense from living in thy city and from travelling to various 2nd and 3rd world countries. I always follow the basic rules of being alert, keeping a tight hold on your cash and documents, and not hanging out where there is obviously a chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Following even those basic rules means the sight of riot police is always more than slightly disconcerting.. and of course today, being alone, was no exception.
The police were obviously relaxed, they were not on guard and not intimidating anyone, just kinda hangin out, but something was obviously about to happen. They were not even paying attention to anyone really, but people were clearing out of the way, moving off down side streets or into stores. I ducked down the first side street I came to and circled back around 2 blocks further West of where they were. As I headed back towards the main street I noticed thousands of people marching by. There were young and old alike carrying signs, some were dressed in scary Hallowe'en costumes, some were on stilts, one guy was painted entirely grey and not wearing anything but grey paint, his shoes and a bag slung over his shoulder. Yup, that's ALL he had on!! Some were handing out pamphlets and most were singing protest chants/songs. Most of the different faculties of the local Universities were represented, from Arts to Orthodontists. Traffic was completely blocked while they marched past, for a good 15-20 minutes. I watched all this from at least 3/4 of a block back, alternately laughing and wondering if maybe I should retreat home and stop being so reckless.
Finally, the end seemed to pass and the traffic started up again. I decided to walk back the way I came down 53rd, so I rounded the corner and YET AGAIN a line of riot police was the sight that greeted me, this time only 20 metres or so away. These guys were seemingly less friendly and were in a line across the street, backed up by two huge police trucks with lights flashing. The police were advancing slowly, step by step, shields up and protecting themselves the way you see them on the tv news when they are attempting to back off a surly crowd. I think what they were actually doing was letting the side street traffic, which was by this time so incredibly backed up it would take hours to clear, run out across the street and catch up the lights. However , my North American nature freaked out a bit, and I hightailed it out of there as fast as my 25 extra lbs of cargo would let me!
The traffic was backed up until almost 4 o'clock apparently, as the protest made it's way to the main square of the city and the students continued their mission. I don't know what good the protest did, mostly on the internet people were ticked off that they were held up and that the resulting traffic jam affected millions of people and held people up for hours.
Oh, by the way, they were protesting a law that would limit the access to public education for lower income families. They had a noble purpose as this country needs all the educated people working together for a better life for everyone.
The picture at the top is a sight from the top of the street. I was standing at street level, but on a side street watching them pass by.

No comments: